2. Keep a school related calendar. Keep a calendar on your desk or wall (or your child's desk/wall) and record any significant due dates, testing days or school related activities. Another great way is to keep a planner with those dates that you (or your child) can carry around to class. While I'm not too tech savvy to begin with, I love having everything on paper and checking up on my calendar every morning.
3. For older children or those in college, plan some time with your friends that includes study sessions. It's a great way to have fun and also get some studying out of the way. Just don't forget to actually study! For younger children, parents can plan play dates that include some fun educational games or videos.
4. Keep up healthy habits, i.e. sleep! My biggest problem while I was in school was getting enough sleep (we've all been there I'm sure). It wasn't uncommon for me to drag myself to my car in between college classes and take a nap. It's important to make sure students get enough sleep, which more often than not usually is as simple as staying ahead of deadlines, no procrastination (see tip #2)!
5. Get enough exercise. While the school year can be hectic, its stress relieving to have some regular exercise. Sign up for a gym class, sport, team... whatever. My college campus had a free gym (how I miss those days) that I would use before or after class, it was great!
Here are some more tips for ensuring a healthy, safe and successful school year:
6. Stay hydrated. I carry around a stainless steel water bottle with me where ever I go, including school.
7. If you drive (or drive your children to school), make sure to keep your car properly maintained.
8. Make sure to have regular health check ups.
9. Have fun with reading. Read a fun, challenging book, read to your children or encourage them to read to help with vocabulary.
10. Teach your children proper hygiene habits early on. Brushing after every meal, washing hands, etc!
Twittermoms and Airwear have teamed up to help bloggers and readers have a "Healthy, Safe and Successful School Year". Bloggers were asked to post about "10 Ten Tips for Ensuring a Healthy, Safe and Successful School Year". To participate in this program or discussion be sure to visit the Twittermoms post here: http://www.twittermoms.com/forum/topics/share-ten-tips-for-ensuring-a
Airwear and TwitterMom, Beth Aldrich, are sponsoring an essay contest to celebrate the new school year. To enter: submit an essay at LighterSaferGreener.com about how you help your kids live a healthy, safe and successful school year. One grand prize winner will be awarded $1,000, 10 first prize winners will receive vouchers for Airwear lenses valued up to $400.
“I wrote this blog post while participating in the TwitterMoms and Airwear blogging program, making me eligible to get a $25 gift card. For more information on how you can participate, visit http://airwear.twittermoms.com/about."